Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Drunk Driving and why I don't patronize alcohol!


My grandmother got the surprise of her life yesterday when instead of seeing my cousing PIng arriving at the airport, she saw her eldest daughter, Linda, yes that's my aunt, walking towards the exit door. She was so astounded at the very thought that she was fooled by everybody and that she was the only one who didn't know about it. But then she forgot that she was mad when my aunt and her husband, Uncle Gerry, told my grandma, "We're here for your birthday, mom!"


And so the drinking sessions began. Two ice box containing, ice and of course, the one and the only drink that my family prefers, REdHorse! Two huge bottles of tequila, vodka and gin are ready for consumption. When I arrived at my Grandma's place, my aunt was still taking a nap so I ate spring rolls because my stomach was grumbling. I kinda forgot that my last meal was at 730 in the morning.


Then out came my aunt!wow a hug really feels good especially if its coming from a relative or a friend you really missed. Then my Uncle started making margaruitas. He joked if I was old enough to drink and inquired if I was driving. Of course I won't drive. First, I don't have my license yet. Yes I know its shame on me coz I am already 22 years old and I still don't have a license. But then even if I had a license, my father would not permit me to drive.


So here's where the fun part begins...

My Uncle Marlon and my Aunt Linda had a huge argument over this:
You'd have a pretty much bigger chance to evade an accident if you have a very nice car: e.g. the new model of BMW, which is the current car of my aunt.


Uncle Marlon's argument:

Because you have good stirring and good breaks and better protection if you had a nice car, then you'd probably be able to prevent an accident. That is if you can see it coming though. What he was driving at is the fact that my aunt, whose also a very good drinker, drives a BMW and doesn't receive a single scratch because her car is nice.


Aunt Linda's arguement:

Its pretty simple though, regardless of what type and brand of car you have, if you are a reckless driver, drunk at that, if you get into an accident, you won't be able to evade it. YOu cannot always anticipate what would happen next. It all boils down to your attitude on the road.


So, who's right and who's not?

TO HELP YOU ON THE ANALYSIS:


On our way home, my kinda tipsy dad was taking the wheel. Its always like this when we come home from my grandma's place. My mom kept on tugging at my dad's shirt to try to lessen his speed or would suddenly say, hey be careful coz there are people standing at the sidewalk. Sometimes they would end up arguing over my father's driving and his drunkness.

I really, really hate this scene. It always makes my heart beat faster than the usual. I have my hand ready to pull the emergency breaks. This is the reason why I wanted to drive. So that when my dad gets awfully drunk, I'd be happy to drive my family home.

This is the reason why as much as possible I wanted to burn the factories that produce beer and other alcoholic drinks. I know I'm a hypocrite because I myself would drink. It runs in the family. But I don't drink much. Just a glass or two. But I wanted so much for my father to quit drinking and smoking. He's not only trying to slowly kill himself but he's also trying to kill me and my family...

So that's my lifelong dilemma, don't cry over that...

I am still grateful to have him as my father...Grateful to have this family...

No family is perfect, we have secrets, and I'm spilling mine!

No comments: