Sunday, October 01, 2006

my musical influences

Today October 1st, I would like to pay tribute to all the people who have influenced the evolution of my music. These are the people whom I have met over the years and who have greatly affected my choice of music and how much passion I have for the arts.


When I was young I'd listen to the radio...


*my late grandfather - Conrado Labay Sr.*

I remember him coming home from Saudi bringing a boom box and more than a dozen tapes. Way back when cds still weren't invented, we already have the 80's blastin out our window. I think my dad still keeps my grandfather's tapes at our house. So you see as early as 2 years old, I was already a Beattles fan!

*my elementary music teachers - Mrs. Noval, Ms. Estella and Mr. Lacson*
They were the ones who kept on pulling me out of my class to have me practice on either the Responsorial Psalm of the upcoming First Friday Mass or include me(one of the few 3rd graders) to the choir for the mass.
I remember getting angry at Mrs. Noval because she keeps on increasing the pitch to the point that we're always going to Falcetto and then would keep on saying "from the diaphragm" and because I'm still a mere 9 year old, I still don't know how to sing from the diaphragm and end up hurting my larynx...But I did enjoy singing during mass. When I joined the school politics, my singing career stopped for a while.


*my first crush who plays the guitar - Mark Lemuel Bulawan*
- It was one fine summer back in '95 and I was introduced to one of the most obnoxious, most boastful guitar player I have ever met. But damn, I love the way his finger strum the guitar he was carrying that day. Then I decided I want to play and finally asked him to teach me but then to my demise, he said he won't! Imagine the fury of Vanessa...Well actually, it was better that way coz I pushed my self to learn playing the instrument...Sooner that summer, I was able to play simple songs, more of the basic but heck I can already carry a tune! I was so happy and proud of myself. I was singing songs by Rivermaya, Green Department, Yano, Eraserheads and Metallica!


so hold me tight and don't let go...

Freshman year I auditioned for one of the spots for our Freshman Orientation. The freshman faculty are trying to put up a group who will render a song on the orientation day.

I don't exactly know why I had the gutts to sing in front of the entire Freshmen faculty but I guess my adviser then convinced me into doing so. And I was more surprised to see my name of the list of those who will be performing. And thus my singing career sprung to life.


*music teacher from 1st to 4th year - Mr. Rhi Garciano*
- he's one of the best teachers I've ever had. Practicing was never a burden for me coz I always end up learning something new.
- he was the one who taught me some of the voicing techniques that I was taught in elementary but didn't quite understand nor I found significant then. But when I joined the group in freshman year, it was the first time I felt great singing with a group...I'm not bragging here but we sound good together. Even if the only accompaniment we had was only Sir Rhi's classical acoustic guitar, when I hear us sing, it feels so heavenly...And that really boost up my confidence...
-since then I went back to singing during the Eucharistic celebration - it figures I came from a sectarian school since I was 6. Even if I was only in the glee club for about a year, I still sang during masses.


*my cousin - Marie Therese Lambo aka Tsai*

-she was my playmate turned confidant turned piano tutor turned jamming buddy. In high school we were classmates from 1st year till 3rd year and we shared the same interest and liked the same type of music. We were both practicing the guitar and I remember, she was better than me but we really enjoyed jamming. We were so hooked on rock music but we still listen to hiphop and lovesongs. We even put up a band when we were in 2nd year, joined the band showdown and got the 3rd place...At least we were not last. We played Song 2
-its just so sad that she had to let go of the talent that she has...She would have been a great musician and composer because she's also a poet herself. Her words are moving and really convey strong emotions.
to be continued...again...

No comments: